11. Mandatory Mental Screening Program Usurps Parental Rights
Sources: "Bush Plans to Screen Whole U.S. Population for Mental Illness," Jeanne Lenzer, Asheville Global Report, June 24-30, 2004; "Forcing Kids Into a Mental Health Ghetto," Congressman Ron Paul, Truth News, Sept. 13, 2004.
12. Military in Iraq Contracts Human Rights Violators
Sources: "Dirty Warriors: How South African Hitmen, Serbian Paramilitaries, and other Human Rights Violators Became Guns for Hire for Military Contractors in Iraq," Barry Yeoman, Mother Jones, Nov.-Dec. 2004; "Intelligence, Inc.," Pratap Chatterjee, www.corpwatch.org, March 7, 2005; "Untested Law Key in Iraqi Abuse Scandal," Jonathan Groner, www.law.com, May 11, 2004.
13. Rich Countries Fail to Live up to Global Pledges
Sources: "Poor Are Paying the Price of Rich Countries' Failure," Caroline Green, Oxfam press release, Dec. 6, 2004; "45 Million Children to Die in Next Decade Due to Rich Countries' Miserliness," Jim Lobe, Inter Press Service, www.OneWorld.net, Dec. 6, 2004.
14. Corporations Win Big on Tort Reform; Justice Suffers
Sources: "Supremes Limit Punitive Damages," Jamie Court, Dollars and Sense, March-April, 2004; "Tort Reform: The Big Payoff for Corporations, Curbing the Lawsuits That Hold Them Accountable," Amy Goodman et al (Juan Gonzalez interview with Joanne Doroshow), Democracy Now!, Feb. 4, 2005.
15. Conservative Plan to Override Academic Freedom in the Classroom
Source: "The New PC," Russell Jacoby, The Nation, April 4, 2005.
16. U.S. Plans for Hemispheric Integration Include Canada
Sources: "Is the Annexation of Canada Part of Bush's Military Agenda?" Michel Chossudovsky, Centre for Research on Globalisation, Nov. 23, 2004; "Canada's Chance to Keep Space for Peace," Bruce K. Gagnon, Canadian Dimension, Jan.-Feb., 2005.
17. U.S. Uses South American Military Bases to Expand Control of the Region
Sources: "What's the Deal at Manta," Michael Flynn, Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, Jan.-Feb., 2005; "Creeping Militarization in the Americas," Adam Isacson, Lisa Haugaard and Joy Olson, NACLA Report on the Americas, Nov.-Dec., 2004; "Colombia: A Shill (Proxy) Country for U.S. Intervention in Venezuela," Sohan Sharma and Surinder Kumar, Z Magazine, Dec. 29, 2004.
18. Little-Known Stock Fraud Could Weaken U.S. Economy
Sources: "Naked Short Selling Is a Plague for Businesses and Investors," David Hendricks, San Antonio Express News, March 2, 2005; "Who's Behind Naked Shorting?", Karl Theil, www.TheMotleyFool.com, March 30, 2005; "SEC's Donaldson Addresses Liquidity Fraud," Dave Patch, Financial Wire, Stockgate Today, Sept. 20, 2004; "Dateline NBC Cancelled and Attorney Accuses DTCC of Cheap Thuggery," Dave Patch, Financial Wire, Stockgate Today, April 7, 2005.
19. Child Wards of the State Used in AIDS Experiments
Sources: "UK Firm Tried HIV Drug on Orphans," Antony Barnett, UK Observer, April 4, 2004; "Guinea Pig Kids: How New York City Is Using Children to Test Experimental AIDS Drugs," Democracy Now! Dec. 2004.
20. American Indians Sue for Resources; Compensation Provided to Others
Sources: "Trust Us, We're the Government: How to Make $137 Billion of Indian Money Disappear," Brian Awehali, LiP, Winter 2004; "Despite Wealth of Resources, Many Tribes Still Live in Poverty," Angie Wagner, News From Indian Country, March 8, 2004.
21. New Immigration Plan Favors Business Over People
Sources: "How U.S. Corporations Won the Debate Over Immigration," David Bacon, Inter Hemispheric Resource Center, Nov. 16, 2004, and Washington Free Press, Nov.-Dec., 2004; "Migrants No More," Maggie Jones, www.MotherJones.com, Nov. 11, 2004.
22. Nanotechnology Offers Exciting Possibilities, but Health Effects Need Scrutiny
Source: "The Dark Side of Small," Richard Monastersky, Chronicle of Higher Education, Sept. 10, 2004.
23. Plight of Palestinian Child Detainees Highlights Global Problem
Sources: "Control & Resistance: Palestinian Child Prisoners," Catherine Cook, Adah Kay and Adam Hanieh, Left Turn, December 2004; "Palestinians Want an End to Their Solitary Confinement," Karma Nabulsi, UK Guardian, Aug. 28, 2004.
24. Ethiopian Indigenous Victims of Corporate and Government Resource Aspirations
Sources: "State Terror in Ethiopia: Another Secret War for Oil?" Keith Harmon Snow, World War 4 Report, April 2004, and Z Magazine Online, May 2004.
25. Homeland Security Was Designed to Fail
Sources: "Red Alert," Matthew Brzezinski, Mother Jones, Sept.-Oct., 2004; "Fortress America: On the Front Lines of Homeland Security," interview with Matthew Brzezinski, National Public Radio, Sept. 24, 2004.