It was a strange week around here at the Tucson Weekly offices, partially because of the lingering minor changes and such from the sale, but also the bizarro backlash from our reporting of the drama surrounding two local restaurants. But, hey, let's stay positive in this space for a week. Here's a list of five things I like right now.
1. Working on a list of Houston rapper Riff Raff's nicknames and being able to call it "work" (see page 31).
2. The current season of MTV's Challenge, subtitled "Free Agents" this time. While not the best edition of the show ever, the intrigue provided by not terribly bright people trying to figure out strategy for a dumb competition show is always entertaining.
3. The song "Call You Out" by British trio JUCE. As far as I can tell, this group has one song, but with a video full of TLC and SWV references, this is exactly the sort of thing I enjoy.
4. Retro Game Show Night, this Saturday night, May 17 at Club Congress. I'm biased as a semi-regular participant in this show, but Tempest DuJour's monthly tribute to '70s game shows is about as entertaining as any night in Tucson. This month, the bawdy comedy will be applied to a take on Hollywood Squares.
5. Sour beers. While Tucson brewers aren't exactly cranking out sour beers quite yet, Tap and Bottle had the New Belgium sour brown ale La Folie on tap last week. It was great and now that's all I want to drink.
5a. That someone is actually reading this. Thanks.