Queer and Questioning
Dear Joto: You and everyone else who writes in with their romantic conundrums involving Mexicans should always ask themselves before consulting the Mexican: Is it me? Ladies: When hombres wolf-whistle at you, can it possibly be because you're beautiful, and not because Mexicans are inherently lecherous? Same with you, Queer: Maybe your flaky Mexican papi chulos just don't think you're their cup of horchata and are too kind to tell you in person. That said, Mexican men are the least flaky men on Earth. Think about it: Aztec prophecy claimed their descendants would reclaim ancestral lands in the southwest United States--and guess what?
It would help the Mexican cause if other Americans knew of historic Mexican heroes. Anglos mostly only know about Santa Anna and Pancho Villa, who were both clusterfucks. Cesar Chavez is one shining star--are there any others we should know about?
Super Duper Gringo
Dear Readers: I know, I know: I shouldn't bother with this question, since it's so obviously a put-on, and any answer is ultimately Sisyphean--even if I revealed that Chuy Christ himself was Mexican, Americans would still trash their swarthy amigos. But let's play, shall nosotros? Following is a partial list of heroic Mexicans whose accomplishments benefit every gabacho:
· Luis Miramontes was a co-creator of the birth-control pill, which lets gabachos screw without shame or worrying about out-reproducing Mexicans.
· Mario Molina helped discover that chlorofluorocarbons were eating up the ozone layer like illegals do our social services.
· The Virgin of Guadalupe protects all Catholics in her role as the empress of the Americas and convinces God to spare nonpapists from hell.
· Juventino Rosas wrote "Over the Waves," a waltz that provides much merriment whenever a cartoon needs to show people getting seasick.
· Salma Hayek's breasts.
· Rebecca Webb Carranza popularized the tortilla chip, ensuring the Super Bowl's survival.
· And last, but certainly not least, the millions of Mexican immigrants in los Estados Unidos who write the paychecks of Lou Dobbs and his pendejo pundit pals and make life much cheaper for the rest of us.