Commenting sections on the internet are notoriously unpleasant and we're sad to report that our website is no exception.
We've recently seen an influx in the types of comments deemed unwelcome on our website and we need to address the issue. Let's start here: our Comments Policy is always posted on our website
Here's a refresher:
THINGS THAT BREAK THE RULES
- Potentially libelous comments.
- Obscene, racist or bigoted comments.
- Personal attacks, insults, or threatening language. Name-calling will not be tolerated.
- Plagiarized material.
- Private, personal information published without consent.
- Comments totally unrelated to the topic of the post.
- Commercial promotions or spam.
- Hyperlinks to material that is not directly related to the discussion.
- Comments that are duplicated on multiple stories or articles.
- Comments that are typed in all caps. That's shouting.
- Comments that harass the reporters and newspaper staff.
We delete comments that violate the policy. Repeated and particularly egregious violations get you booted from the TW comments for good.
We strive to be judicious about which comments to delete. We don't want to censor you. We also don't want the comments section of our website to turn into a cesspool of hate speech, personal attacks and hijacked conversations.
When that happens, we start deleting posts and closing commenting.
You can notify us about comments you find objectionable by pushing the "report" button at the bottom left and telling us why you think the comment should be removed.
Here's the deal: Make your points, say what you need to say, speak up when someone is mistaken or misinformed. Be critical. Discussion and debate are welcome. Personal attacks and racist comments are not.