Chances are, you found out on Monday which friends you could delete from your list if they were talking about anything other than the loss of rock legend and beloved weirdo David Bowie. You may have also seen some of the many tributes put out to honor the Thin White Duke. Well, aside from the already posted "Space Oddity" lyrics on Rialto Theatre's marquee, the historic venue and its across-alley bar, R Bar, are offering a full week of events to help commemorate David Jones.
The events began last night with a special performance from Tom Walbank at R Bar and will culminate in a large mural painted on the side of the venue of Bowie and Motörhead's Lemmy Kilmister from Tucson-based artist Danny Martin. Here's what the rest of the week has in store:
- Wednesday, Jan 13: The "Live and Rare" residency continues at R Bar with Tyler Akin, who has been asked to offer a tribute to the late rock 'n' roll god. The show begins at 9 p.m.
- Thursday, Jan. 14: DJ PhatSoul will be presenting a David Bowie video tribute set in addition to the hip hop and soul that comes standard on Thursday nights from 9 p.m. until 1 a.m.
- Friday, Jan. 15: Beginning at 5 p.m., the legendary Phil Davis will be performing during happy hour at R Bar for the first time with some soulful Bowie additions to his set. Davis will play until 7 p.m.
- Saturday, Jan 16: At R Bar, Clif Taylor will be spinning Bowie all night. Anyone dressed as any iteration of Bowie gets half-priced drinks. Over at Rialto, the "HEROES" tribute will feature live music, a Bowie dance party and the same dress-up deals as R Bar, hosted by KXCI's Cathy Rivers and Hannah Levin. There is a $3 cover for the Rialto event, which begins at 8 p.m.
- Sunday, Jan. 17: "Every Day Is Like Sunday" DJ night features DJ E_RUPT playing all your favorite Bowie jams with a screening of your favorite Bowie films. The weekly dance night runs from 9 p.m. until 2 a.m.
For more information on these and other Rialto Theatre events, visit the venue's website