The Staff Writer will cover specific beats as well as general assignments/breaking news as needed.
Essential Job Duties
• Responsible for thoroughly reporting news stories, features and other stories accurately in a clear, concise manner.
• Complete knowledge of beat(s) and local cultural happenings, in order to produce news/ features for print or digital platforms on a daily basis.
• Producing stories that can be used in special sections not directly tied to a beat.
• Assign photos/graphics with stories as early as possible and take photos on an as-needed basis.
• Flexible hours to accommodate breaking and other news.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
• Knowledge of AP style and ethical standards of the journalism field
• Ability to cultivate sources on beats to enhance story content/production.
• Ability to write clearly and concisely.
• Experience with online media, including ability to write blogs consistent with the Weekly’s style
• Ability to take photographs on an as-needed basis.
• Knowledge of Weekly’s audience
• Abililty to work under deadline.
• Ability to work flexible hours.
MINIMUM POSITION QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Bachelor’s degree, preferably in journalism
Experience: Experience as a freelancer or staffer at professional media outlets, preferably in the alternative newsmedia realm with clips that demonstrate reporting and writing proficiency.