by Dan Gibson
The Weekly had someone set to cover it, but apparently the press conference set for tomorrow at Amy's Baking Company (complete with guy-who-enjoys-attention Rev. Jarrett Maupin as host) in which the public would get the chance to decide who they wanted to side with "a famous celebrity chef or the marketplace that has supported the small, locally-owned business for six years" is now off. According to today's press release, the presser is off due to "threats" from the producers of Kitchen Nightmares and, of course, online threats.
While the press event is currently off, the re-opening itself is still a go, with Amy's Baking Company reporting that over 1,000 reservations have been placed. Then again, people go to the Weiner Circle in Chicago to have profanities shouted at them, so the public's interest in getting into the restaurant might not be directly correlated to actual support.
Also, in one of the likely shortest client-provider relationships in recent history, high powered PR guy Jason Rose is off the case, having "opted to end its relationship with Amy’s Baking Company."
UPDATE: Regarding the end of his company's relationship with Amy's, Jason Rose told Phoenix Business Journal:
“It’s been a very exciting week. With all the reservations coming in (for the grand re-opening week) it’s been a great accomplishment,” Rose said. “Beyond the preliminary success, there were differences on public relations strategies.”
There's part of me that hopes this is all over, but it's almost certainly not, considering that actual customers are going to be in that restaurant at some point, and it would seem that the Bouzaglos won't be able to keep any facade of good behavior up for long.
The text of the press release is below the cut:
For Immediate Release
Monday, May 20, 2013
Rose+Moser+Allyn Public & Online Relations
DUE TO THREATS FROM FOX SHOW PRODUCERS AND ONLINE BULLIES, AMY'S BAKING COMPANY PRESS CONFERENCE TUESDAY AFTERNOON CANCELED
(SCOTTSDALE, Ariz.) While its Grand Re-Opening Week will commence Tuesday, May 21st as planned, and with a full house, the press conference previously scheduled for 1pm on Tuesday has been canceled.
For a copy of the Fox letter threatening legal action against the restaurant sent late last week please contact Jennifer Parks or Mike Scerbo. The many online threats can be seen via search.
The restaurant’s activities follow an unflattering portrayal on Fox’s “Kitchen Nightmares” with celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay, and subsequent social media fallout, which Amy and Samy Bouzaglo contest.
Customers will be able to decide if Gordon Ramsay is correct, or the marketplace that has supported the small, locally owned business for six years. Over 1,000 reservations have been made since the Grand Re-Opening was announced last week.
Ten percent of this week’s proceeds will go to benefit the Megan Meier Foundation, an organization dedicated to combat the effects of cyber-bullying.
The Bouzaglos maintain their social media was hacked following the episode’s airing. An incident report was filed with the Scottsdale Police Department. A recent email and assistance from GoDaddy may be of interest and can be shared upon request. The Bouzaglos may soon be providing additional information on cyber-attacks leveled against them including ones by an organized group.
Recently, Amy’s Baking Company was positively featured on the hit PBS show “Check Please” and has received A+ reports from CBS5 for kitchen preparedness.
NOTE: Rose+Moser+Allyn Public & Online Relations (RMA) has opted to end its relationship with Amy’s Baking Company. The restaurant’s re-opening is now set after its controversial week, and reservations have been substantial. Moving forward, RMA will continue to field media and other inquiries through Tuesday night. Interested parties may still contact the public relations company after this time and attempts will be made to facilitate any requests or comments to restaurant operations for a response.