Gov. Jan Brewer has given up hope of getting lawmakers temporarily increase the sales tax by one penny. She’s now back to asking them to put it on the ballot next year.
Brewer called a special session this afternoon to use the few tricks the state still has in its pocket, including:
• Raising income taxes on out-of-state taxpayers.
• Borrowing more money by selling more state assets and then leasing them back;
• Borrowing against future lottery revenues.
• Put off more payments to schools.
• Putting the aforementioned one-cent sales tax proposal on the ballot.
It's not nearly enough to fix the problem.