by David Mendez
This just in from ASDB:
Governor Jan Brewer Appoints Board Members for the Arizona State Schools for the Deaf and Blind
PHOENIX — Governor Jan Brewer today named five new members to the Arizona State Schools for the Deaf and Blind (ASDB) Board of Directors.
“The Arizona State Schools for the Deaf and Blind fulfills a critical mission by educating students with unique and specialized needs. So, it has been troubling to see allegations of mismanagement made against ASDB and its leaders. While inquiries continue, I conducted a lengthy and deliberative process to replace Board members whose terms had expired. I am confident the five new members I’m naming today will help give the institution the ‘fresh start’ it needs,” said Governor Brewer. “These new members have outstanding qualifications from across the deaf and blind community. Most important, they are committed to making certain ASDB students are prepared with the knowledge and skills they need to succeed after graduation.”
Each term for the eight gubernatorial appointments has expired; the ninth seat is filled by the Superintendent of Public Instruction’s designee. With Governor Brewer appointing five new members, the other three will continue to serve for the time being as holdover appointments.
New Board members include:
• Dr. Kathy Jankowski: former Dean, Laurent Clerk National Deaf Education Center, Gallaudet University
• Taralynn Petrites: Lead Faculty, American Sign Language and Interpreter Training, Pima Community College
• Elaine Baldridge: former Director of Children’s Services, Foundation for Blind Children
• Michael Gordon: Executive Director, Southern Arizona Association for the Visually Impaired
• Dr. Mark Syms: Otologist, Arizona Ear Center
The three holdover appointments include Sherri Collins who represents the Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing; Orlenda Roberts who acts as the Board’s school district employee who works with sensory-impaired pupils; and Michael Williams, who serves as a public member
We'll be updating this story as we find out more.