The auction is Saturday, June 8, 6:30 p.m. at Fluxx Studio and Gallery, 414 E 9th Street. The deadline for entries to Fluxx is 5 p.m., Monday June 3. What's cool about this project is that it's not just another request for donations that many local artists get every day — this time all artists who enter will receive 25 percent of the winning bid.
Here are the rules for participants:
(1) Only one entry per artist
(2) Piñatas must be fully functional with a hollow interior, to fill with objects and breakable
(3) Piñatas can be no bigger than 6 feet in either direction & must fit a 30-inch wide doorway
(4) Piñatas may not weigh more than 30 lbs.
(5) Piñatas must be ready to hang with a built-in, secured sturdy loop
(6) 50% of the piñata must be constructed out of newspaper (traditional paper maché is optional)
(7) No Pottery, glass, plaster, metal or ceramic can be used on the piñata
(8) The palito or stick must accompany the piñata
(9) The palito cannot exceed 4 feet in length & be fully functional to break the piñata
(10) All entries must be delivered to Fluxx no later than 5pm on Monday June 3, 2013
(11) Piñata & palito may be of any artistic theme of the artist’s choosing
For more info, email Ruben Romero at firstname.lastname@example.org or check out the event's Facebook page right here. And yeah, maybe start putting that list together of your favorite Tucson artists and ask them to enter a pinata. The possibilities go beyond Dora and super heroes, and maybe something you'd buy and not dare take to a birthday party.